Boats are wonderful, and with the right care you and your family can enjoy yours for years. However, taking care of your boat and its components - like the vinyl windows - takes care and research. Not knowing how to properly clean your boat’s clear vinyl windows or enclosures can cost big time if you inadvertently damage them by using the wrong techniques and products.
Here’s a quick, basic list on how to clean your boat’s clear vinyl windows or marine enclosures:
- Inspect your windows first. Be sure there are not tears, deep scratches, or holes. If there are, you you might want to consider professional repair or replacement.
- Wash your windows with a mild soap and water solution, or use an approved clear vinyl window soap you can find online, like 303C Clear Vinyl Cleaner.
- Rinse your windows off with fresh water to get rid of dirt, dust, and debris. DO NOT use any abrasive soaps or cleaners.
- Wipe them down to dry them with a clean, soft cloth like a microfiber towel.
- Restore your windows using a vinyl window formula and an applicator pad. Make sure you check with your boat manufacturer which restoration formula is best for your boat’s vinyl windows.
- Polish your windows using a foam applicator pad and a product designed specifically for boat windows.
- Finally, treat your windows with a boat approved window wax.
You can go to your local boat shop or visit www.meguiarsdirect.com for polishes and waxes like Meguiar’s No. 142 Clear Plastic and Vinyl Window Wax. Some online big box retailers also carry boat cleaning products like Starbrite’s window polish and cleaner. Or you can simply search for boat cleaning products online and choose the one that best suits your needs.
Consult the manufacturer or supplier of your boat’s clear vinyl windows to learn any tips or tricks they recommend to ensure a long lifespan. Talking to the source is one of the best ways to ensure you are using the right products to clean your clear vinyl windows. Not all clear vinyl boat windows are developed or produced the same way; some have different specifications, thickness, and coatings. That’s why it’s important you talk to a professional before you embark on cleaning. You want to be armed with the right knowledge, products, and techniques on how to clean your clear vinyl boat windows.